Having a low ceiling can definitely make any room look cramped. But sometimes, increasing the ceiling height through renovation will require a lot of work and certainly a lot of money.
Luckily, there are some simple tricks you can try to create an illusion of having a higher ceiling. These tricks only require minor renovation or minimal adjustment but can bring a major difference in the appearance of your ceiling.
1. Paint your ceiling with light colors such as white or paint your walls with dark colors. When your ceiling is noticeably lighter than your walls, it can create an illusion of having more space.
2. Paint your ceiling with high gloss paint. Just as how mirrors can make a room look more spacious, the reflective properties of a high gloss paint can also make the ceiling look higher.
3. Paint your walls with vertical stripes. As with clothing patterns, vertical stripes can make your body look more slender and can make you look taller. Vertical stripes can do the same for your walls – they can make your walls appear taller and your ceiling appear higher than it really is.
4. Install floor to ceiling doors and windows. Since windows and doors that run from the ceiling to the floor will make your wall look taller, it will also impact the way your ceiling looks. Additionally, floor to ceiling windows is incredibly large that they can invite a lot of natural light in. Natural light does wonders in making a room look wider and more open. Make sure you find a reputable window installation company to install your windows.
5. Hang wall paintings or wall mirrors as high as you possibly can. Wall paintings and mirrors that hang in an elevated spot on the wall will create an illusion that your ceiling is higher.
6. Hang curtains on a higher spot. This is also an effective trick in making your ceiling look higher than it actually is, just like hanging wall decorations higher.